Vaping is one of the most popular methods of cannabis consumption. While there are many different types of tabletop and portable vaporizers on the market, vape pens are one of the preferred devices. Regardless of which type you choose, you may notice that you have dry herb vape as well as oil options. Comparing your options makes it easier to select the best one for you.
While dry herb and oil vapes vaporize different forms of cannabis, they do have some similarities. These include:
- They’re much more discreet than smoking
- Most options, particularly vape pens, are portable
- While some options are more limited than others, all vapes have some form of temperature control
- They’re easy to use
- They all have batteries that power a heating element, which then vaporizes the cannabis material
- They’re rechargeable (although there are disposable vape oil pen options on the market)
Dry Herb Vape Differences
Now let’s get into the differences between dry herb and oil vapes:
The most obvious difference between the two, dry herb vapes vaporize cannabis flowers while oil vapes vaporize cannabis oil. Some vaporizers can vape herb, oil, and wax, too.
Vaping dry herbs requires more power than heating an oil chamber. To accommodate this need, most dry herb vaporizers have larger batteries. Even so, the batteries tend to drain faster, which means you need to recharge them more often.
To load a dry herb vape pen, you need to grind your flowers and put them in the chamber. After your session, you need to empty it and clean it. When it comes to an oil pen, you have pre-filled and refillable cartridge options. Both options get screwed onto the battery.
Chamber Vs. Cartridge
Dry herb vape pens have a chamber, which is where you place your ground flowers. You pack it and clean it almost like you would a bowl. The chamber is meant to be used long-term. Oil cartridges, on the other hand, are interchangeable.
Tips for Dry Herb Vapes
If you choose a dry herb vape, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Invest in a quality grinder to get your buds to a good, even consistency
- Always start with the lowest heat setting and work your way up to find the ideal vaping temperature
- Remember to regularly clean or change your filter screen to ensure optimal airflow
- Consider a rubber mouthpiece extension sleeve to protect your fingers from the heat
Tips for Oil Vapes
Here are a few tips to keep in mind if you decide to go with an oil vape:
- Always keep your pen upright, including during storage, to keep oil from leaking into the mouthpiece
- Start each session on the lowest heat setting
- Heat the device to melt dried oil particles and clear the airway
- Make sure you purchase oil carts that match the threading of your battery
Whether you choose a dry herb vape or an oil version, make sure to choose a device that works best for you. With the right device, you’ll have a pleasant experience every time.